Friday, November 5, 2010

Do You Look At Life Through God's Word?



I am nearsighted and I can see well in my own little world. Everything right around me is clear and vivid. But, I need these glasses to see things that are far away...things that are not close.

I woke up today thinking of this as I reached for my glasses...and I equated it to my walk with God. In my close little world where I live and move around I don't feel the need for assistance most of the time. I feel like everything is within my reach...or that I can manage and have everything in my control! But if I need to move outside of my comfort zone and venture out into the world, and drive my car to get where I am going, I absolutely need assistance! I need my glasses to drive...I know this...and the Dept. of Motor Vehicles knows this, and it is a stipulation written right there on my Driver's License.

I was thinking how much I depend on my glasses and how much I need them. My life would be very different without them. Well it made me think about how much I need to look into God's word everyday. How I need to see things more clearly...the way God wants me to see things. Oh, I can stumble through my day on my own and think things will work out ok...but they really won't.

If I were to drive and try to maneuver without my glasses I would get lost, because I wouldn't be able to read the road signs. I wouldn't know where to turn, or how fast to drive, and I couldn't change lanes safely. I would endanger myself and others. But when I put on my spiritual eyes by looking into God's word my Lord directs my paths...and He says.."Stop at the crossroads and look around, ask for the old godly way, and walk in it. Travel its path and you will find rest for your souls." Jeremiah 6:16 NLT

The Bible says.."Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Ps. 119:105
So why would I choose to walk in darkness, or dimly and miss out on God's direction??? Yet each day that I don't look into God's word I am walking with poor vision.

In John 8:12 Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life." I want to walk with Jesus...I want to see clearly, I want to open His word and put on my spiritual eyes. How about you?

I don't want to be near sighted and only care about me and my little world! I want to put on my spiritual eyes and let God show me the fields that are ripe for harvest. I want to step out in faith without fearing the obstacles...looking to God for my directions.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Did you know that if you continue to NOT wear your glasses, it puts a strain on your eyes and weakens the muscles? By not wearing your glasses when you need them, you actually cause your vision to get worse. The more you neglect to wear them, the worse your eyesight becomes.

I think your analogy is wonderful. Because the more you neglect the Word of God, the weaker your walk becomes. Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,

Sue

Linda said...

Amen Sue! You are so right. We do get weaker and weaker when we don't open God's word. Just like our eyes grow weak when we don't wear our glasses!

Thanks! (:>)

Jenilee said...

this is a perfect word for our lives today. we think we can do so much on our own but we really need God and HIs Word to lead us or we will find ourselves in trouble. I am so thankful for HIs word as a light to MY path!

Kristin said...

I loved this post, Momma Linda! That was such a great analogy!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful, and so very true. I think about that because with having three T.I.A's I'm off balance, and sometimes need assistance to walk. Without God's Word in me, I am off balance, and need assistance getting around.
Thank you for helping me this day!
You are such a blessing!

Karin said...

Very insightful analogy! Even though my vision is just the opposite - I can see far and drive without glasses, but for reading, close-up work, playing piano, I need my glasses - I'm sure the same analogy applies!

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

My sentiments exactly, Linda. I wear contacts but still need reading glasses from time to time. When I'm tired, I depend on them more. We all need Jesus, in all aspects of our life, not just once in awhile. Much better than the news. Thanks for sharing!