Monday, September 28, 2009

"On The Road Again"...Our trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico



You can click on pictures to enlarge and then hit the back arrow to return to original size






















I just thought I would post a few pictures of our Santa Fe, New Mexico trip that we took last week. Our trip was bittersweet because we were supposed to meet our friends Max and Toni there,(they live in Arizona), but Max was recently diagnosed with lung cancer and he had to start treatments. We were so sorry that they couldn't make it, but they insisted we go ahead and make the trip. So you can see why we would be missing them. Each year for the past several years we have met up with them in the fall and we have had such a good time. Last year we went to Gatlinburg, Tennesee and North Carolina with them and it was so much fun. We are praying for them, that the treatments will help and we certainly pray for God's strength and His peace during this time.

The pictures are just some random shots along the way and while we were in New Mexico. We stayed right by the Plaza and we enjoyed walking around it and shopping, and we even took our lunch one day and ate it in the park in the center of the square while we watched the many people strolling through the Plaza. The weather was great most of the time with temps in the 70's but it did cool down a lot in the evenings, and it also rained a couple of times. The skies were so blue and the clouds were so white and fluffy most of the time! I didn't capture the beauty of that bright blue sky in my pictures, but it was one of the things that I really enjoyed. The altitude was over 7,000 feet, so maybe that had something to do with it??? I don't know, but it was amazing.

I went out to a golf course with John while he was practicing and I sat there enjoying the view, and thinking about all of the Indian and Mexican people that we had seen and I was thinking about their culture and of all of the beautiful artwork and crafts they display. There are several museums in the area where we were staying and oh so much beautiful jewelry that they make. (I really had to practice self control, because I love jewelry). I did buy a little raku pot, and a basket, and a pair of earrings for my daughter, and a shawl for myself. And a few other little things. But everything was very expensive! There were a lot of homeless people and several of them approached John for money. He gave them some in the name of Jesus. I love that man of mine! Everything we have belongs to God anyway, and if He prompts us to give,...who are we to say no?

God certainly did make a variety of landscapes in this world and even just in the United States! With us living here in the flatlands of Kansas, we sure enjoyed the mountain scenery. We went to Los Alamos where they made the atom bomb and it sits up on a plateau so there was a lovely view up that way. We ate lunch there in a
50's diner. We were going to go to a monument up there and tour some caves, but it started raining. But even still we did enjoy the ride, and we got to see where John's uncle had worked when he was a security guard back in the 50's and 60's.

On the way back home we stopped in a town called Shamrock, Texas, and we took a picture of an old gas station there that was the model for the station in the movie "Cars"! It was charming. There are lots of old, quaint,buildings along the route that we took, because it was the old Route 66. My husband is into all of the nostalgia from the 50's and he loves to listen to the oldies music,..I guess it all takes him back to the happy times from his youth. So I guess you could say,..."he got his kicks on route 66". {{smile}} The route was also what they used when they filmed the movie, "Wild Hogs". I can see why they filmed it there, because of the wide open spaces! We did see a lot of people on motorcycles enjoying the nice weather out there.

I took a lot of the pictures from the car while we were on the road, so they aren't of the best quality, but you can see a little of what we saw the week we were there. Thanks for letting me share. Have a great week ahead!

15 comments:

Sarah Robbins said...

Ah, you were right around the country corner from us! It looks like you had such a good time, although I am so sad about your friend. I will say a prayer for God to heal him and comfort their family. . .

HappyascanB said...

What great pictures! I'm sure it was bittersweet to go without your friends. Praying God covers your friends with healing power and grace.

HappyascanB said...

What great pictures! I'm sure it was bittersweet to go without your friends. Praying God covers your friends with healing power and grace.

HappyascanB said...

What great pictures! I'm sure it was bittersweet to go without your friends. Praying God covers your friends with healing power and grace.

HappyascanB said...

What great pictures! I'm sure it was bittersweet to go without your friends. Praying God covers your friends with healing power and grace.

Kristin said...

Haha! Bethany must've been having problems with blogger like I was earlier on leaving comments. :)

I love all the pictures, but I have to say that you are not allowed to pass through Texas any more unless you come over to Houston! LOL!! Just kidding!

I'm glad you had a good time. I've never been to NM....my step-sister used to live there, but I never had a chance to visit her. All the shops looked neat. I am praying for your friend too.....I'm so sorry they didn't get to make it on your trip.

Have a great week!!

Unknown said...

So sad about your friends! I am praying for him! What awesome pics, they all are so clear and great! So glad you had fun!

Amy said...

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip. I will be praying for your friend. Such beautiful pictures!
Blessings,
Amy

Aspiemom said...

It's wonderful that you have special friends to vacation with, like Max and Toni. I'm so sorry that Max is facing cancer and treatments right now, tho. I'm sure it was hard to follow through on your trip w/o them.

It looks like you saw some really neat places, tho. I've never been there.

You look great in that car picture! So pretty. I'm always a mess when traveling.

Deanna said...

Hi Linda,
Sorry about your dear friend being ill. May God Bless him and heal.
Like the pics you've shared.

You and your husband look well and what a great time and weather you had.

Always a pleasure to visit your blog!

Today I'm in slow motion...tired from traveling to Oklahoma and then turning right around and going home. But had a sweet time while there for a baby shower and seeing my kids and grands.

Have a blessed week,
d

Veronica said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I've never been to NM before. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I will be sure to say a prayer for him!

Caroline said...

Looks like things went well on your trip. Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm praying for him. Great pictures & I have never been there but have heard alot of people talk about it here in Nevada. Take care & thanx for sharing :)
Caroline

Kim said...

I'm sorry about your friend. I pray that God will heal him so you and your friends enjoy many more trips together. Your pictures are awesome. I read where you went to Gatlinburg awhile back. You weren't far from me even though I am now a bit further away since my move. If you ever come through South Carolina give me a shout.

Holly said...

Love to look at pics and you had a lot for me to look at! :) I'm sorry to hear your friend was diagnosed with lung cancer. I hope the treatments go well and it can get rid of it. I'm sure the trip wasn't the same without them there but it's good that you went. I haven't been to New Mexico. I always pictured it similar to Arizona but I could be wrong!

Linda said...

I have had a soft spot for New Mexico after reading novels by Stephen Bly like The Senators Other Daughter.