Sunday, January 3, 2010

Are We Following His Lead?


I have loved the Lord since I was a little girl. My biggest mentor was my mom. She loved the Lord so much, and I always wanted to love Him the way she did. She always took me to church and to Vacation Bible School, and everyday we read the Bible and prayed together.

Mom listened to Christian radio everyday too, and I would pick up bits of truth as I passed through the room, or as I sat eating,...or when I was doing homework at the dining room table, and I could hear the preaching on those radio programs.

Also when I was in the car with mama, Christian radio was always on with good music and good teachings. Her faith was affecting me as a child, because she was living it in front of me, and she was always discussing with me, the goodness of the Lord.

My mom would use object lessons in life to make God's love and power more real to me. Things like watching the flower bulbs that we'd planted when they started poking up through the ground. I would marvel as I watched them grow and bloom and mom would say it was an example of God's life giving power.

She would tell me about the power of the Lord as we'd watch the ocean move back and forth, and she would draw to my attention the fact that God kept it within it's bounds. She would always be telling me these kinds of things, and so I learned from a young age that God was in control of everything! Mom would bring to my attention the miracle of birth as I held my new little niece in my arms. She brought God into view with these life lessons that she taught me. She was always following His lead!

I in turn have tried to pass these thoughts on to my daughters and granddaughters,...and my grandsons too, as we observe life together, and view it's many miracles. We have had many wonderful discussions over the years about the majesty of God.

The Lord has brought many people across my path through the years that needed encouragement and I have been able to share my faith with them. There have been a few younger women who were going through trials and I have been blessed to have been able to share encouragement with them from an older woman's perspective. I have been able by God's grace, to offer other means of help and care to them as God provided opportunity and means.

Women have been willing to listen to me sometimes because of the trials I have gone through, because they knew that God was with me during those trials, and that I had found the victory through the Lord. I have given the glory to God for the ways that He has comforted me and helped me through the struggles of my life. I am so thankful that God's love is available to each of us in every situation.

I feel led to also help people who need it by offering my daughter's book to those who are facing life and death situations. Situations like the loss of babies and children. The book tells them of God's faithfulness to her during the loss of three of her children. It is called, "In Faithfulness He Afflicted Me", by Lynnette Kraft, and it is available through Amazon.com. Actually it is an encouraging book and can be a blessing to whoever reads it.

I feel led to pray for women who have unsaved husbands, because my husband was unsaved for many years of our marriage. I prayed for him for 15 years before he became a Christian. Women find hope when they hear the story of my husband's salvation and it helps them to know that there is always the hope that their husbands will be saved too.

I think all of life can bring opportunities to witness, and to mentor people. But sometimes we don't take advantage of those opportunities. When we don't open our hearts to care, and our mouths to share, I think we grieve the Holy Spirit by not following His lead. I haven't always heeded His prompting, and I always feel guilty when I know I have missed an opportunity.

We need to be sensitive to His promptings and step out in faith to follow His lead, and to live our faith in front of others. We need to reach out and help others as the Holy Spirit leads us.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful reminder!! Linda I am a witness to your life...and have for a long time been encouraged by your obvious love for God!! I know how you have blessed me and can only imagine the crowns you will have to offer your Savior on that glorious day!!

I love you,
Nancy

Rebecca Nelson said...

Linda...What an amazing testimony you have. I can see why other women listen to your heart. They find comfort in your journey because you've walked so close to the Lord.

I've always hungered to know Him more. And so why should I be surprised when God places people like you in my path.

Today you blessed me. I needed it on this frosty winter day.

Love, Rebecca

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Great post, Linda! You are such a blessing to me...and your words are an encouragement to many. May we always be sensitive to His leading, and may we notice Him in every part of life as your mother taught you so beautifully to do.

Love to you,
Kelly

Amy said...

This is a beautiful reminder. I am one who was blessed by reading your daughter's book. I believe it has made me a better mother.

I am so thankful for your friendship and the kindness you show through your example.
God bless you friend,
Amy

Kristin said...

What a wonderful post! You have been encouraging to me, when I most needed it and have prayed for us, when I wasn't sure even prayer would help. Those are priceless gifts and I will be forever grateful for them! And Lynnette's book was life-changing for me too, showing me that I could have hope, after losing Mom. I know that the Lord brought us together and I'm so glad you decided to start blogging, because I know that you have helped so many people!

Love you!
KRistin

P.S. I love your poems too! :)

Jenilee said...

Wonderful Post! I enjoyed reading about your mom... she sounds like an amazing women of God! and the picture of you and Harrison is pretty cute too! :)

Deanna said...

Dear Linda,
Thank you for sharing your Christian Faith.
You're an inspiration.
God Bless,
d

Caroline said...

What a wonderful post and I always enjoy your blog. You are so uplifting. Have a great one and sending {{HUGS}}
Caroline

September said...

Linda-
Your post was wonderful to read! followiung in the Lord's leading is such a sensitive subject in my mind lately.
Your mom sounds as if she was an awesome example of living the Christian life.. and you have followed in her example also.
You have such a heritage of Godly living being passed thru your generations. What a blessing you have!
Your living testimony is always an example and encouragement to me.
Thank you!

Holly said...

You are always so encouraging and I love that!! God bless you!

Unknown said...

What a sweet post my momma. I do love that you bring God into everything. You are a wonderful encourager. You are always one of the first people I call when I have some exciting "God news" to share - because I know that you'll get excited with me and say something like, "Isn't God wonderful!" or "God is God!" or maybe even, "WOW!"

Your love for our Savior and zeal for serving him is contagious and you are a beautiful example for all who are watching.

Love you.
Lynnette

Christy said...

Beautiful post. I have a friend who loves the Lord with all of her heart, sadly her husband is not saved.

I pray you have a blessed day!